“Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift (1 Cor 9:15)!”
We are not quite finishing our first day outside Moshi,
Tanzania and have got a lot done. Our arrival was uneventful and the village director with his wife were faithfully waiting for us outside the customs area.
A lone custom's officer was presiding and asked why we had so many suit cases (seven
each loaded carefully and weighed multiple times) to which we replied that we
were moving to Tanzania; he sighed cheerfully and waved us through. Our home
had been carefully prepared for us and became a big mess as our suit cases were
unloaded today in the living area. All day a cool breeze blew in through the
open windows presided over by the grandeur of Kilimanjaro peeking out from the
short rain cloud banks. It felt really good to be at the end of a complicated
chain of living arrangements since the sale of our house in Bismarck. The work
on our house in Florida had just been completed the day before we left.
Thankfully we arrived late on a Friday evening so we have
the weekend to prepare for starting on Monday. Peggy will be starting
immediately as child care director and I already have week day Bible study
teaching assignments made plus overseeing the progress of our selection of
local teachers who are taking ten week courses on how to teach the classical
Christian curriculum. Sometime late this week I will go into town to the KCMC
medical school and hospital to see what the administration has in mind with the
medical students.
The second night has now passed and we are starting to get
settled in with the usual surprises-baby frogs coming up through the toilet for instance. Outside roses are blooming with many flowers. It is dryer
outside so we have to use a garden hose to keep the flowers looking good. This
morning we went over to the dining hall to greet all our resident children
which is what we call them here. Tomorrow I must get busy learning the names of
all the sixty odd children which are part of the Rafiki village. Peggy still
remembers some from our trip in February. This morning in going through Psalm
112 (quoted in 2 Cor 9:9) I noted that the blessing pronounced on the man who
fears the Lord and greatly delights in His commandments is also linked with
freely giving to the poor. This is part of practical righteousness. What an
opportunity we have here to do just that.
So happy for you both and grateful for your example. We will definitely be praying for your transition
ReplyDeleteGlad you made it safe and sound along with your luggage. It is a beautiful election day here in Alabama. We just had our first frost so the leaves will now begin to change rather suddenly. Looking forward to reading your reports. I want you both to know how proud I am to have you as friends. I talk about my visit to Bismarck to others all the time and I appreciate your gracious hospitality. Our time is short and the harvest is plentiful.
ReplyDelete